Kilner Jar Compost

by



One of the biggest parts of our rubbish is wet waste- fruit and vegetable peels, bones from meat, tea bags, egg shells etc. I was looking for a way that I could compost all of this and so reduce the amount of trash that we produce on a weekly basis. 

Even though a lot of the wet waste is biodegradable, when it is mixed with other trash in landfill it does not actually bio degrade that quickly as items in landfill are so tightly packed that there is no oxygen or hardly any living organisms that would make the process possible. 

Some councils offer compost collection and provide little green counter top bins that sit on your kitchen surface but unfortunately Sheffield City Council is not one of them. Instead you can get discounts for home composting kits. As we live in a rented flat it is difficult for us to have a compost bin in the back garden.  I also wanted to make my life as easy as possible so I looked for places where I could just empty my compost bin. I have found out that there is an initiative through my work that offers compost collection. All of the waste is used to produce fertiliser and electricity through anaerobic digestion. Because the waste is converted to energy, I can put most of my wet waste in it- egg shells, food scraps and even meat bones which don’t usually end up in house composts. You can read more about the scheme at http://refood.co.uk.

The next challenge was finding a compost bin which could sit in the kitchen without smelling of 5 days old chicken bones. I didn’t like the green plastic compost boxes as you need to buy carbon filters which cost £ (and produce more waste in the process) and instead I decided to use my trusty Kilner Jar. If it is good enough to keep my jams from bacteria, then it is good enough to contain the compost smells! 

I got the biggest jar available which is 3 litres. I have been using it for a while now and I am really happy with it as it doesn’t smell at all. There were a few fails where I didn’t have time to empty the compost bin and after a few weeks it got really interesting… These days we fill one up every week or so. The collections bins are conveniently located en route to a really nice pub so we usually combine the two;)

If you have your own house, you can easily get a little compost in your back garden. It is worth asking around if you want to start composting but have no means of having one. You can always ask your neighbours as well if you can empty your compost into theirs! If there are any allotments in your area, chances are that they have their own compost heap and wouldn’t mind a few extra scraps. It’s all converted to nutrients so why not?