Zero Waste Alternatives – The Klean Kanteen

by






One of the changes that I have made so far to reduce my rubbish is to eliminate plastic bottles. I drink a lot of water every day and so I always have a water bottle on me. I used to buy a Lucozade or a small plastic bottle of water and then just use that for a few days until I either lost the bottle or it started to smell funny. 

When out on my bike, I would use reusable plastic bike bottles.  After a while, no matter how much you wash them, the water just tastes horrible. (Especially when you are riding in the heat) That’s when I made one of the best investments so far by switching to a stainless steel bottle. Let me introduce the Klean Kanteen - stainless steel water bottle which lasts a lifetime and is leak proof and shatter proof.  And the best thing about it is that it fits in my bottle cage on my bike. No more disgusting water bottles! I take it everywhere with me, and I have several different sizes and caps. I fill it with tap water but I have used it for all sorts, as a coffee flask, soup carrier and even to take olive oil.  Even when it is really hot outside, the water always tastes fresh.
All of the caps are compatible with different bottles. I use the sports cap for cycling and screw top lid when I am out and about. It doesn’t leak which is perfect as I usually just throw it in my bag. As you can see from the image, the bottle has been used a lot but it is still going strong!
I usually just fill it up with tap water everywhere I go. Even when I am in town having a coffee or lunch I always ask to get it filled up and I have never been rejected so far. We are really lucky in the UK that tap water is safe to drink. There are more initiatives to get people to refill instead of buying which is awesome. 
It has saved me a lot of money already, as I would most definitely buy drinks when I am out so it’s a win win situation!
If you are planning to use it on your bike just check that it actually fits as not all bottle cages are created equal. When I ride someone else’s bike I usually just wrap the bottle in a sock, not the best looking solution but it does stop the annoying rattling :)